So most folks are probably in the know about this already, but if you’re not check it out! Right now Carbine is tempting Wildstar players with some pretty sweet benefits if we sign up for 2-Step authentication using Google Authenticator.
What’s the loot?
- Title: Certifiably Certified
- Cosmetic Item: Cybernetic Eye Patch
- Persistent buff: 2% XP, Renown, Prestige
An XP buff? I’m sold.
Now before anyone has the chance to whine, please keep in mind that the Google Authenticator is 100% free and easily downloadable to any Android device.
That does mean you have to be on the Droid train.
Also you can use the Windows Authenticator if you go here. Thanks Strongy for that tip! The set up process may not be exactly the same as what you see below, since this was written based on the Google Authenticator.
Setting it up:
If you’re a software/app wiz, just ignore this bit. Otherwise it’s a quick rundown. If you don’t know a tablet from a tennis racket, this probably wont help you.
- Download Google Authenticator from the Google Play Store.
- Then log into your Wildstar account through the usual place, their website.
- Once you’re logged in under your account, scroll on down to the Account Security section.
- Click the link to get it set up and it will take you to the next page.
- Go back to your device and choose to add a new account to your Google Authenticator.
- You can either select “Scan a barcode” or “Enter Provided Key”.
- If you choose scan a barcode and you don’t have the barcode scanning app installed, you’ll have to install that, let it download, then use your back button to get back to the app.
- Once you have that set up you can scan the barcode on the page instead of typing in the numbers and letters.
- Google Authenticator will return to the main screen and will display a code.
- Enter this code into the box. Then click the next button.
- At this point everything should be synced and happy.
I had an error that hopefully you won’t have. I managed to get things working by clicking Settings > Time Correction for codes > Sync Now. That syncs your app with the Google servers. After doing that my code worked just fine and I received the message and e-mail saying that everything was set up.
When you log into the game you should get a little box that will pop up that lets you click into the interface (with the mouse) the numbers generated by your Google Authenticator app.
What if you have two accounts or you are sharing an Android device with a loved one, room mate or imaginary friend? Well you are in luck. The good news is that you can use the same Google Authenticator app for more than one Wildstar account.
Just add the additional accounts the same way you added your first account.
Oh and Bro-tip, you might want to edit the accounts with names that will let you remember which code belongs with which account. This should help cut down on log in frustration. Well it does nothing if the servers are down, but hopefully it will keep you from wanting to throw your device at the wall.
To do this, tap the code, then hit the little pencil icon at the top there and then a window pops up that lets you change the name.
Want more Info?
Check out the official post here.