Pulling Out of a Leveling Slump and Loving the XFire in Game Browser

Ok so I’ll admit it. I haven’t posted any updates about my Shammy twins because well, there hasn’t been a lot of progress made on my Shammy twins. I’ve been feeling ill all week and instead of being a big grump to my guildies I’ve been taking a little time off from leveling and away from the twins to get well.

Tonight I’ve finally started to feel a lot better so I ran the Shammy twins around Stranglethorn Vale killing for Singing Shards and Troll’s Ears… I know, these quests are a whole lot of no fun, but they’re still better than trying to get the quest drops from the infamous gutless gorillas. I have a whole bit on that topic, but it doesn’t translate well to text.

Unfortunately after some questing I realized that the macros and UI I’d set up for the twins just weren’t doing it for me so I took a little more time out to adjust them properly. That of course means arranging the bars, setting the key bindings, turning off default frames, etc. etc. ad infinity.

So here’s where XFire comes in. So I got one of their newsletter e-mails the other day. You know it’s one of those things that’s kind of like the junk mail that usually just goes into the recycling bin. For some odd reason I actually decided to take a look at the recent newsletter and saw that XFire has expanded the XFire chat program to include an in game web browser.

Ok, ok, I’ll admit the first thing I that comes to mind about this is; ‘oh great, something else to distract people from the game, wasn’t Bejeweled bad enough?’ (I like the Bejeweled in game game thingy though, awesome for long flights). Then I begin to think, wow, how many times to I have to alt+tab out of the game to look up a quest, compare gear types, figure out where a vendor is, or look up just what that friggin’ acronym really means, not just might mean, but really means.

Tonight I actually got to put it to the test when I had to look up some macro information. I’m actually kind of happy that I had XFire up and running. I’m pretty sure that a troll would have bashed and eaten Elecreep if I hadn’t been able to just get right back to the action. Otherwise I’d have been happily researching away and would have come back to two dead Shaman. Seeing a Dead Shaman is just never any good.

I’m totally out of energy now, but I’d say give XFire a shot and see what you think. As always though be careful about who you add as friends. Download software via trusted sources (or at least sites that have their butts on the line if they’re transmitting garbage) and remember to run you’re anti-virus and anti-spywear software at all times. Then again saying this stuff is about like telling somebody to wear an oven mitt before pulling the brownies out of the oven, but I just wanted to make sure that I left a little disclaimer.

On a side note this evening I was chatting with a guild mate and I ended up on the topic of my hordies. There’s so many times that I think to myself that I’d so be 80 by now if I’d have just stuck with Geistig or even Strategeist. I also remember just how hard it was to find groups to do anything, even as a healer. I also remember how annoying it was when I did end up in a group or two. Those are pretty much the only things that have kept me from just going right back to those toons. Lately though I’ve been in such a leveling funk that I really, really, really want to just want to put one finger on each hand up to the Alliance and go back to my heathen existence as a Hordie. I mean for all the light and beauty you have on the Alliance side, it’s just so, well, orderly. Being the child of chaos that I am, all that order and no chaos makes me go something something.

I’m not ready to run back to the Horde side yet. I’ve spent a lot of time on Rexxar and I’ve met a lot of really cool people. But I’ve gotta tell you that lately I really feel like people treat me differently just because I don’t have a level 80 toon. I really feel as if folks look down on you if you don’t have a level 80 main. I’m sure then they even find ways to look down on you, but you know what I mean.

With all of this, ‘the game starts at 80’ crap, it seems like folks feel as though they have the right to level one maybe two toons to 80, and then sit on a high horse and lord it over the leveling folks while laughing it up with their ‘end game’ buddies. I guess as long as it keeps them entertained and out of my hair, it’s probably just as well. But then I think about the folks that have just bought their first copy of WoW, folks that are brand new to the game. I mean, how can someone honestly look down on a person who’s only now begun to explore the World of Warcraft?

The thing is that I’ve purchased one full game and two expansion packs. Well all the latest game content is in the last patch and everyone leveled their mains as soon as they could to get out to that game content. I can hang with that, leveling is a pain in the booty. Now though, hang out in a city and turn trade chat back on. I know it’s painful, but what do you read when it’s on. “I’m bored”. Um, there’s all these zones, all these crafting skills, all these dungeons and you’re … bored?

Pffft… whiner. I’ve paid for all three parts of the game and get access to all three areas. Why would I want to level ONE character maybe two, to the level cap as fast as I can and NOT explore the content available in the rest of the game. It’s like getting a chess set, taking out the king, and throwing the rest of the box in the garbage. Sorry this is really a rant that should get it’s own post, but that’s just my take on it. I really should just get my butt to bed.

/sleep

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Thanks Talta! 😀

talta
talta
13 years ago

Cheerios to you! Go Girl, Go! You know I’m new to the game and really like having other people to run with and especially nice if you can build relationships along the way – which doesn’t usually happen with PUGs. Guildies that take the time to pull the noob cloth head along have a special place in game heaven waiting. More level doesn’t matter events in a guild is great to get the relationship building going. I truly understand where you are at and know the pain of having folks pass you by leveling quickly as you wander from continent to continent chasing quest that seem like fun or rewarding. You begin for feel left out and forgotten. Thank you for being caring about others feelings and wanting to improve the game for those that you can. Kudos to you Kiddo.

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

And I think that’s what’s sorely missing right now. We’ve got folks who’ve bonded over various reasons or were friends before came about. Getting everyone together and getting to know the folks behind those names that scroll in guild chat would make a big difference. I mean I’ve been in guilds where I only met 3 other people out of a guild of 50 or so. I felt very very isolated in that guild. I really don’t want anyone to feel that way.

Scarybooster
Scarybooster
13 years ago

Even getting people involved in lower stuff as a guild helps. You know Jenkins night had a huge turn out. We did UBRS with 10 mans when we could have soloed it. Why because being part of something is sometimes more fun than being left out. MC made so many people happy. ZA and ZG were a blast. All lowbie stuff but people had fun. We need to take a look at what everyone can do at least 1 night during the weekend when most ppl can play. Taking an hour out of the rep or epic grind won’t hurt it will just build relationships.

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

And you know Scary, I was looking through the guild notes yesterday and I did see that a lot of folks were re-rolling and not all of them were even 80 yet. I mean it almost looks as if there’s a group of us that have created a glass ceiling for ourselves because we don’t want to deal with the end game BS. That’s actually sad.

Scary I think you’re right. I think that taking the time to keep track of who’s getting up there and rotating folks out is a dang good idea. If the guild is already pugging some spots to get instances in, then it shouldn’t be a big deal to help the new 80’s pug out too. Not to mention the fact that even setting up class leaders who can discuss detailed gear needs would be a lot more effective than saying ‘go to the class forums’.

I’m not saying that we should hold people’s hands because that just creates apathy. What I am saying though is that folks are usually more exited to log in and have a good time if they know that they’re a part of a team, that they can see things are organized, and that they don’t feel like they’re being excluded.

I also agree with you on the note of the 4 well geared and 1 off geared. I read Greedy Goblin’s post recently on how the folks that cleared the WotLK instances in the first week would not have been able to farm to craft gear or to farm for rep gear. That means they may have done a lot of the content with Burning Crusades epic quality gear. I’m not saying that everyone could do this and I’m not saying that the end game content is anything. I can’t say it’s anything I haven’t seen it yet. I can say though that when you see a comparison like that it really makes you wonder if it really is too hard for some well geared folks to help out a fifth not so well geared person, or if it just takes more time, concentration, patience, whatever.

Thanks guys I think this really helps put together some options for actually changing things up a bit.

Scarybooster
Scarybooster
13 years ago

Sry about the spelling mistakes and wrong words. My iPhone changes them or implants words and letters I font want. (see I tried to say don’t and the dang thing spelt font).

I know your frustration and you shouldn’t have to get to 80 to play with the guild. I’m transfering my 46 hunter over. I will play with you anytime you want (in a clean way. Geesh dirty minded fools). Like I said, I guild and group of great peope is what makes these games fun. All I want to do is play with the people I call friends (guild). The other people can take their pixel 80 and shove it up their butt. It is about having fun and laughing. I like laughing.

Thanks again for your comment section. Keep Creepin’ 🙂

Scarybooster
Scarybooster
13 years ago

The thing is with 80 people think they need to do this or that to do this or that. It is confusing I know. What is the point tho if your not enjoying yourself? I’m a fast leveler and that made me miss a whole lot of what I love. I love people and instances. I don’t care if it is someone running me through an instance or 5 ppl struggling to do it. I love the company. I have leveled 4 toons to 70 and I refuse to get to 80 because I don’t want to fall in that “I have to raid this”. I want to have gun and see it all. I want everybody to see it with me tho. I do feel greedy asking to do something that helps me in a way. I see lowbie night was replace with Raid night and that is discouraging but, those ppl busted their ass to get to 80 to to what they are doing so I don’t blame them for wanting to do only 80 stuff.

What I don’t like is being part of a group that is suppose to be a guild to help each other but they cap what you can do because of elitist gear crap. I’m not saying Afternath does it, I am saying I’ve seen it. This is what I have seen in the past and I have left guilds for it: example- there are 3-4 members that are in good to great gear and there is a fifth member that just wants to come along to see content but they are new 70 (back then. You can replace that with 80 now), but they can’t do the instance because they are not geared enough. Come on that is bull crap elitist stuff. There is 3-4 well geared guildies doing it and you can’t crutch the 5rh member? Do they suck that bad they can’t help the 5th? A guild means being open to all members no matter how they are geared. If you wipe for 5-6 times on first boss, ok call it a night and try to do something to help that never or members get to that point. Not disqualify them before you give them a chance because you looked at their armory. Help them get to where you are. Oh and one more thing, if you are the elitist punk incharge of the group and you are same class as noob 80 in YOUR guild, they better not be left out too long.

Everybody should get a chance. If you are in a guild and you see a lot of people rerolling after they get to 80, that is because they are being left out a lot and so they will leave. Here is my recommendation as when I was a GM: take notes as a GM, Officer, or any other authority figure. I have seen people appointed raid/heroic group coordinator for this. Write down who was in last group and slowly replace 1-2 members as a rotation to get everyone in. Rotate popular clases a lot more. Healers and tanks usually have to to more cuz of their high demand. The key is to keep track of everybody. It is key to health of a guild.

Thanks for your comment section Creep. :). I love grouping with you and a shitload of Aftermath. Great guild great people.

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Thanks H00LiGAN, I’m glad that I’m not the only one that thinks the elitism garbage is total BS. You know I’ve seen folks that are just damn good at the game. Those folks rarely have the ‘I’m better than you’ attitude, so I’m not sure where the rest of ’em get off.

You know just after I rolled the twins I felt like I had the guild’s support. But it’s taken me a lot longer to level them than I’d like. I’ve also spend a lot of time on my DK to help out folks that wanted to do a dungeon or even just take some time to brush up on instancing. But because I haven’t just focused on myself, on just leveling my ‘Main’ and getting right into the end game, I feel like folks look down on me. I honestly feel like folks are relegating me to the kiddy table because I want to enjoy all of the game I paid for, not just the bit that supposed to be important. It’s like high school. I don’t have the right shoes so I’m not cool. I had to go to school I don’t have to log into a game.

I’m hoping that things change H00LiGAN cause I’d like to run with you and Scary and Hud and Nef and the rest of the guild. But I’m not going to log in to feel like I’m part of the out crowd. Life throws enough crap at us and there’s zero reason for us to add more to the pile.

H00LiGAN
13 years ago

Oh I didn’t say it was right to think that way. I was just saying that unfortunately, you will probably see that attitude in all guilds, alliance or horde. Elitist attitudes piss me off, but I am at the point where I just don’t care.
When I started in , I brought in my re-rolled pally who was already at 35. But I re-rolled again, because we had so many paladins already. I was under the impression that people would be cool and support me all the way, but it looks like we have cliques forming already.
I’m hoping you don’t leave and that we can team up real soon. I’m a slow leveller do to limited playing time, so I’m sure you’ll catch me soon enough.

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Woot on the long Auction House scans!

I gotta say though, just because a lot of people do it, doesn’t mean that its the way things should be. We’ve got players who’d be 80 maybe even a few times over, but re-rolled to be a part of a guild that was a little more focused on the people playing the game than just trying to beat the game. At least that’s what I thought. Now I think I’m just bloody stupid.

H00LiGAN
13 years ago

XFire browser!?! I did not know this. I am saved from long Auction house scans!

As for the guild, meh, you’re going to see the “I’m 80 and you’re not” crowd in any guild. Even though everyone and their mom will have an 80 or does already, they seem to think that they’re special.
I see it and feel it in the guild too, but there was no way I was going to take my warrior to 80 (cuz they suck), and if I did I would have quit already.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x