Taking a Breather

OK so burn out has hit big time. I’ve been enjoying playing Auslander my Rogue. It’s a fun class and there’s a lot about it that I really like. I’ve gotta admit though, rushing to get to 80 has really turned leveling Auslander into a more of a job than anything else.

Basically I’d rolled Auslander in the hopes of adding some DPS to a guild that’d been comprised of mostly hybrid classes. There’d been a need for some DPS in that guild. I like being able to dish out damage as a pure DPS class. I just don’t like the fact that they don’t have a lot of versatility.

Really what I mean here is that I’m sort of a jack of all trades master of none kind of person. Now I know that in WoW, there’s no such thing as a class that can really do it all and be the best at it, at least not all at once. I understand the point to this and I know it’s part of what makes the game fun.

Ever since I started grouping with Auslander I’ve noticed that I miss being able to heal others, yeah I pull out the bandages when necessary, but that’s not quite the same as being able to throw and odd heal once in a while to keep the group going.

I’ve also been very frustrated by the fact that Rogues don’t have a ton of damage mitigation through armor or though talents/abilities. Yeah I know they have some, and folks that are more skilled than I am figure out how to use them quickly. Somehow, the concept is lost on me. I know I can hit Evade, I can throw some talent points here or there, and I can slap on armor kits, but it’s not going to help me keep aggo and stay alive. There are time where I’d like to tank for lower level folks, because that’s just what I do, but it’s kind of hard to do that when you blow all your cool downs on two mobs and they still destroy you.

I’ve been pushing to level Auslander anyway. I’ve been fighting myself like crazy to just level Auslander to 80 so that I can see what the end game is like and for once have a toon at the ‘level cap’. For a lot of folks I know they’re looking at me like I’m either nuts or a loser for not already getting a toon to 80. I’ve got a strong feeling though that I’ve been investing my time in the wrong classes.

So if anything the title of my blog is pretty flipping fitting in that my progress in WoW is well Creeping… along. I do want to see end game content. But by the same token I also know that for me, being successful in an instance isn’t just about having the right gear and knowing how to play you’re class, but there’s also a mental component. I know that to be successful, I’d have to be confident in my class.

Right now I just don’t think that I could be confident in rolling Rogue to end game. Maybe part of it has to do with some tweaking Blizz has done, but for me it’s also just personal play style. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rogues and I always will. There’s just something about them that makes me think they’re just the most dangerous and powerful class in the game. For me though, my confidence in the class is pretty broken and I’m just not sure if I can revive it.

So do I just stick it out and level the Rogue anyway, or do I just take a step back and consider whether I should look into a hybrid class that’ll let me do all of the things I enjoy doing? The worst part is that my guild seems to like the fact that I’m a Rogue. Besides the guild leader, I’m the only other active Rogue in the guild. I’ve pushed aside my concerns about Rogue end game viability, I’ve even pushed aside my concerns that well, maybe this class just doesn’t let me do enough of the things that I enjoy doing. Now I’m really wondering if that’s what’s causing or at least fueling this burn out.

So I figured I’m going to take a little break from Rexxar this weekend. I’m still going to run Friday’s ‘lowbie night’ as scheduled, but then I’m probably not going to stay logged in too long. I think I just need a break from the grind to figure out just what I’m going to do and I have some experiments in mind. Until next time…

-Creep

Author:

Find Related Articles:

Notify of
guest

10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Lannister
13 years ago

Let me know if you need a hand 🙂

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Thanks Lann, I will. 😀

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I did really enjoy playing the Shaman. I guess that I just got kind of spoiled after rolling Shammy and getting used to heals and then rolling Death Knight and getting used to being unstoppable.

I’ve been racking my brain to figure out why I stopped playing the Shaman in the first place, other than just having fun running as Geistig my original Death Knight. Before I finally decide one way or another I want to try out one more class to see if it’ll be a little more in tune with how I like to play. That’s basically what I’m going to be doing over the break.

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

There is that, lol.

talta
talta
13 years ago

Honey – gotta enjoy what you are doing… it’s a pain to do slow grind, but burn out is a fore-gone conclusion if you don’t really want to play the toon any more… I selected a cloth head and feel the pain in slow progress. You have the DK to roll around for a bit, or perhaps you need to create a shammy if you liked that better.

I feel bad that you are so burned out 🙁 Just want you to find joy in the game again. A break is probably a good thing.

Skeleton Jack
13 years ago

“So if anything the title of my blog is pretty flipping fitting in that my progress in WoW is well Creeping… along.” You sure you’re not just creepy? Hehe. 😉

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Heh, thanks Lann. I guess I just want to be sure that whatever I roll, it’s something that interests me enough that I keep on top of the changes and enjoy playing the class. 🙂

CreepTheProphet
13 years ago

Thanks man. That really means a lot!

Lannister
13 years ago

“it’s you, not your toon, that makes us all cheer when you log in.”
H00li speaks the truth. 🙂

It’s tough to play something for the greater good when it isn’t something that really fits you. You spend the whole time thinking you’re helping the guild by playing a role that is missing when it’s less helpful because you don’t enjoy it… it starts feeling like a grind… and eventually you stop playing or quit entirely.

I’ve done that several times and ended up hitting the cap but not really feeling like I wanted to play anymore. In the end, I would quit and leave the game and guild.

I guess what I’m saying is, the guild would rather have good people than someone who fills a spot.

Pick what you want to play and restart if you want, but do it to play what you want rather than what you think the guild or community (server) needs.

There will be people around willing to help you out. 🙂

H00LiGAN
13 years ago

I think the mantra of play what you want to play is alive in our guild. If you’re not happy with your rogue, playing something else for a while. Auslander will always be there.
Sure a lot of us admire you for playing a rogue, but it’s you, not your toon, that makes us all cheer when you log in.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x