WoW Post Cataclysm: Leveling a Guild
Two things about Cataclysm and 4.3.3 that I think are all win, at least while leveling my little Dwarf butt off are Dungeon Finder and Guild leveling.
Dungeon finder helps me get 3 toons leveled at one time, that’s all win.
Guild leveling and achievements give all three of us some things to accomplish as a team.
Yeah before it was bragging rights to say that your guild completed dungeons. When the Achievement system came out, yeah you could see that a person completed dungeons, but not whether they did it in a guild group or solo.
With Guild achievements, we’re able to show that we completed dungeons as a team.
So far with just the three of us have 130 points in Guild Achievements, all of which are dungeon points. It’s kinda sweet to see that just the three of us can actually level a whole guild.
The Dwarven trio consists of a Cranky Protection Paladin, one Surley Restoration Shaman, and a crazy Frost Mage. For the most part we’ve been able to 3 man things even when the other two DPS drop out after getting lewtz or an achievable.
So far this group seems to work really well. I mean we keep the crazy Mage alive so that’s win. Though when the Cranky Pally is running backwards in dungeons laughing while dragging half the mobs, I’m fighting to keep his plated butt healed and the Mage’s elemental has aggroed yet another group… it’s really amazing that we’re not making more corpse runs.
So far we’ve had only one full wipe on a dungeon run. Considering what I’ve seen when pugging otherwise, that’s not a bad record at all. I take full blame for that wipe, I forgot to tell the tank to clear the wings before going for the boss. I know, I’m a very bad Shaman, but I’m so good at what I do…
OK anyways, this Dwarven trio has made it to 43. We are going a little slow, but this way we all stay about the same level. This makes hopping in the queue a lot easier.
Solo we’d probably each get up there a lot faster, but there is NO way I’d heal for Dungeon Finder pugs EVER again. I’m getting spoiled having my tank in vent and having him keeping an eye on my mana bar. OK that AND having a tank that wants to make sure that he catches all the aggro…. It’s pretty effing awesome.
When dungeon pugging it’s not often you get to run with a good tank, and you know them when you find them. They’re a joy to keep alive. Especially when a lot of tanks I’d prefer to look at and say “knock it off or so help me I will find a way to kill you and loot your corpse.”
I’m sure that other healers out there can agree with me.
How I’m Doing it (aka THE TIPS)
OK for folks just scanning blogs for tips and tricks, I would say, healing with Shammies at least in the low level dungeons is all win. Up to 43 I’ve had little trouble keeping up with the tank and even on long fights my mana regen is sufficient to keep the tank alive.
I am running with a Paladin tank though, so that helps a bunch, if he’s panicky he can toss an offheal.
ALSO this worked on a 43 Resto Shammy as of patch 4.3.3 so USE WITH CAUTION
- Tidal Focus – Mana cost reduced
- Spark of Life – heals increased
- Resurgence – Mana Regen
- Totemic Focus – mana cost reduced (totems)
- Ancestral Healing – crits give the healed more health
- Nature’s Blessing – heals greater on Earth Shielded targets
- Soothing Rains – boosts heals off Healing Stream totem and Healing Rain spell
- Water Shield – keep this up on you all the time, it significantly helps with mana regen
- Earth Shield – keep this on the tank, since Shammy’s don’t have a running heal this will keep the tank alive when he starts running backwards through crap and ends up out of range, it also helps keep constant heals going while Healing Stream is taking it’s sweet time charging up cause let’s face it, stacking haste is even harder than stacking spirit when you’re going through armor faster than most people go through underpants.
- Strength of Earth – boosts Strength and Agility, strength is great for most tanking classes, Agility boosts critical strike on most melee DPS classes.
- Flametongue – boosts spellpower for all party members, which means I heal better and caster classes hit harder, pure win.
- Healing Stream – keeps everyone alive, this way I don’t have to heal DPS and Warlocks can tap away then stand next to this puppy and I don’t feel guilty about healing the tank over healing the ‘lock, life is good.
- Windfury – increases melee and ranged attack speed, yeah a grounding totem would help but I’d spend a good part of the Dungeon tossing that bad boy out over and over every time it got hit, with Windfury I’m tossing the party a buff, to me that seems to be a little more win.
Yeah most of the Totems I’m tossing are buff Totems, but let’s face it, every little bit helps.
- Intellect – Bigger Mana pool, you’re gonna need it
- Spirit – puts mana back into that pool faster, buff food can help with this as well. Oh and throwing on a shield, putting a +Spirit enchant on that shield, big bonus. Doesn’t matter how big your mana pool is, if it doesn’t replenish, you’re toast as soon as the tank drains it dry. Don’t get me started on whiley DPS, you know how you are.
- Stamina – Keeps you alive if you get hit, but I will sacrifice this over the other two, usually I can just enchant gear for extra stamina, getting more Spirit is usually tougher
- Glyph of Earth Shield – Increases amount healed by Earth Shield
- Glyph of Totemic Recall – Get 50% mana back when you recall Totems
- Glyph of Water Walking – Water Walking doesn’t require a reagent… What this is fun to cast in Black Fathom Deeps, do you know how long it takes for some folks to figure out how to turn this off? COMEDY GOLD I’m telling ya… try it, not on me, I’m patenting it.
After tossing Earth Shield on the Tank, use Healing Wave as much as possible, it costs less mana. Go for Healing Surge when things are getting really hairy, but try to conserve it since it takes a lot of mana. By 43 you’ve got Chain Heal, if melee DPS is taking damage, you can toss this at the tank and heal the DPS at the same time, all win.
The downside to this scheme is that outside dungeons, I’m totally useless, I need a second set of gear to kill a sewer rat. BUT when I do set foot in a dungeon, I keep my guy alive, he’s happy, I’m happy, life is good.
PS, if anyone has any tips for me, leave them, I don’t mind knowing I can do something better.
All the while, we’re helping the crazy Mage who’s elemental has just pulled something else….
The plan at this time is for the Guild to complete all of the dungeons, which means, well, getting to the end game. I’m hoping to be able to post more fun tips and such getting up to that level.
Till, next time…. Keep it healed.
Surley – Restoration Shaman – Rexxar (Dragon Hand)